Chipping Barnet in 1892 was a small market town, rapidly becoming a suburb of London since the railway had arrived in High Barnet in 1872.
As part of the old Great North Road, Barnet High Street was always a busy route for travellers.
A group of Baptists bought a church building on the Barnet High Street from the Methodists for £950. There were initially only five members in the new Baptist Church. The new congregation of Baptists renamed the church “Barnet Tabernacle”. They met for the first time on 29th November 1891.
In the first year, twenty-five new members were added to the church. By November 1892 the first minister was called, Percy J. Smart who had recently finished studying at Pastors’ (now Spurgeon’s) College.
This photo was taken in 1879
Source: Waterman, J. 1992: A Community of Grace 1892 – 1992 100 Years of Witness at High Barnet Baptist Church (Evangelical)<.p>